How does vertical farming technology maximize plant output while minimizing environmental impact? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Answer by Sam Bertram, CEO & Cofounder at OnePointOne & Willo at Vertical Farming, on Quora:
The benefits are clear for both businesses and consumers, bringing efficiency, production and consistency to this burgeoning industry. Opollo™ farms are more efficient, more technologically advanced and more environmentally friendly than not just traditional farms, but hydroponic vertical farms (which have a higher reliance on water).
Compared to one traditional farm acre, OnePointOne farms yield:
- Yielding almost 250 times more leafy greens per year and reflects a better, more effective use of space
- Yielding almost 150 times more produce per square foot of land
- Utilizing a 2,000 square-foot farm footprint
- Is more scalable and modular
- Can be installed anywhere in the world
- Guarantees year-round quality and yield reliability
- Incurs zero harm to precious soil
- Climate-controlled environment means we can grow what we want, where we want
- Uses 99% less water than traditional farming
- Allows us to grow produce closer to the consumer and reduce transportation
We do this through technology that is incredibly advanced and energy efficient – technology that was created with an earth-first intent and mentality.
This question originally appeared on Quora – the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.