Earlier this month, Kingston Technology announced the release of its latest super-secure IronKey SSD with a built-in screen for tapping in a PIN or password. Now Kingston has launched an encrypted USB thumb drive version for situations where data needs to be portable and completely secure should it fall into the wrong hands.
The Kingston IronKey Vault Privacy 50 (VP50) has FIPS 197 certification as well as AES 256-bit hardware encryption in XTS mode. The new USB drive supports Admin, User and One-Time Recovery passwords along with complex or passphrase modes. The ability to set multiple styles of passwords increases the possibility of recovering data should the user forget the password.
As well as the traditional Complex password mode consisting of 6-16 characters with 3 out of 4 character sets, the new passphrase mode enables users to choose from a numeric PIN, a sentence, a list of words or even the lyrics from a favorite song with up to 64 characters in length. To help the user enter their password accurately, there’s an “eye” symbol can be switched on to reveal the password as it’s typed in. This should cut down on the number of failed login attempts.
The drive’s Admin user can set a User and a One-Time Recovery password or reset the user’s password to restore data access. The VP50 also offers protection against Brute Force attacks by locking out User or One-Time Recovery passwords after 10 invalid tries in a row. The drive will then crypto-erase its data if the Admin password is entered incorrectly 10 times in a row. So, while the data is lost, there’s no fear of a data breach.
Kingston IronKey VP50 can also protect against potential malware on untrusted computers by setting both the Admin and User to Read-Only mode to write-protect the drive. In addition, the built-in virtual keyboard protects passwords from keyloggers or screen loggers.
The Kingston IronKey VP50 can be customized and configured with a Product ID (PID) for integration with standard Endpoint Management software to meet corporate IT and cybersecurity requirements through Kingston’s Customization Program.
Small and medium business users can take advantage of the drive’s Admin role to locally manage drives to configure or reset employee User or One-Time Recovery passwords, recover data access on locked drives, as well as complying with the laws and regulations for forensic use. The VP50 offers encrypted storage under the user’s physical control, making it a safer solution than relying on the Internet and cloud services to safeguard critical data.
Pricing & Availability: The Kingston IronKey Vault Privacy 50 USB Drive is available in capacities ranging from 8GB – 256GB and is backed up by a limited five-year warranty and Kingston offers free technical support.
More info: kingston.com.
Features & Specifications:
- Hardware-encrypted USB Drive for Data Protection
- FIPS 197 Certified
- XTS-AES 256-bit Encryption
- BadUSB and Brute Force attacks prevention.
- Multi-Password Option.
- Passphrase Mode: Select between Complex or Passphrase password mode.
- Virtual keyboard to shield password entry from keyloggers and screen loggers.
- Dual Read-Only (Write-Protect) settings
- Interface: USB 3.2 Gen 1
- Capacities: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Connector: Type-A
- Speed: USB 3.2 Gen 1
- 8GB – 128GB: 250MB/s read, 180MB/s write
- 256GB: 230MB/s read, 150MB/s write
- USB 2.0: 8GB – 256GB: 30MB/s read; 20MB/s write.
- Dimensions: 77.9 x 21.9 x 12.0mm.
- Waterproof: Up to 4 ft; IEC 60529 IPX8.
- Operating temperature: 0°C to 60°C.
- Compatibility: USB 3.0/USB 3.1/USB 3.2 Gen 1.
- Warrant/support: Limited 5-year warranty, free technical support.
- Compatibility: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, macOS (v. 10.14.x – 12.x.x)