How can leaders help their team find joy at work? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Answer by Charlene Walters, PhD, Business Mentor, Consultant, Corporate Trainer & Author, on Quora:
It is crucial to help your team members find more joy at work because they are spending the bulk of their time there! Plus, the more joyful an employee is, the more productive and engaged they are as well. That makes you (as their leader) more joyful too.
Here are few ways that you can bring out more joy in your team:
- Do something nice for them- just because. Nothing makes employees happier than knowing that they are valued and appreciated.
- Set the tone by having fun yourself. As a leader, you are responsible for your culture, and ultimately whether it is filled with joy or desperately lacks it.
- Give them an opportunity to take breaks when needed. Prevent your team from becoming stressed out and overwhelmed (the ultimate joy killer) by making the environment conducive to taking breaks (think large break areas, ping pong tables, and refreshments here).
- Encourage team-building activities and time to bond. Give your team a chance to laugh and bond together on a regular basis. Team-building activities are a wonderful way to improve working relationships and get the laughs rolling.
- Smile. When you smile at others, you not only increase your own level of joy, but the joy of those on your team as well. Don’t be stingy with your smiles.
- Play music. You know those kind of songs that make you want to get up and dance? Lift the collective mood by playing them in the background during certain periods when you want to boost everyone’s energy and joy.
- Ask them what would make them happy and then follow through with it. Go directly to the source and find out what would help them have a happier day. Use the information (and your power) to turn it into a reality.
- Donuts. When all else fails, bring in the donuts. Joy will take over the office fairly quickly when you do.
Charlene Walters is a business mentor, corporate trainer, consultant, TV host and author of Launch Your Inner Entrepreneur. Find out more at www.ownyourother.com.
This question originally appeared on Quora – the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.